In today’s highly competitive job market, it is essential to be proactive in your job search.
1) Research the position: Call the company directly, analyze the website, and check out LinkedIn, blogs, etc. to find out as much as you can about what the job entails.
2) Research the organization: Start looking into the company's history. Learn about the various products and services, past mergers and acquisitions, and seek out information on top management. Use LinkedIn to determine any shared connections.
3) Evaluate your interest: Take a moment to decide whether this position and corporate culture may be right for you.
4) Design your positioning strategy: Find a way to let the key decision makers know that you want to be considered their top candidate. It's what needs to be done to make sure that your name is on the hiring manager's mind. Find and use network access whenever possible.
5) Initiate contact: Use your resume and cover letter to communicate your value. After a week, make a call to ensure that the resume was received. If appropriate, begin the discussion.